ULI Michigan is pleased to announce that the ULI UrbanPlan Fellowship program will take place May 12th-27th with Detroit Edison Public School Academy. The online curriculum takes place over 2 weeks and provides high school students with a hands-on experience in developing realistic land use solutions to real estate challenges. Urban Plan provides students with an understanding of how they can engage in the planning, development and revitalization of their city, neighborhood and community. ULI volunteers work with student teams in the virtual-hybrid classroom for the 2-week program, facilitating discussions and serving as City Council members for final development presentations.
For more information about UrbanPlan in Detroit please contact [email protected]
The mission of UrbanPlan is to generate more positive and informed dialogue about land use at the local level through the education of students – our future voters, neighbors, public officials, and land use professionals.
UrbanPlan X Detroit
The UrbanPlan X Detroit program’s goal is to support under-served students, teachers, and community organizations in Detroit with a flexible, interactive learning curriculum designed to engage students in re-imagining the development of Detroit using project-based learning and place-based analysis. We will work with the city to identify sites that will give the students hands on experience with planning and development.
The UrbanPlan program requires a group of committed volunteers that serve in a variety of roles. Volunteer opportunities include the following:
- “Facilitators” visit the virtual classroom twice to challenge the students to think more critically about their proposal and their role
- “Presenters” (guest speakers) share best practices or a case study
- Teams present their proposal to a “City Council” of ULI members that awards the development contract to the winning team. City Council members adopt a persona to give UrbanPlan real world context.
- Serve as Team Advisers who function effectively as an internal confidant for the team. Team Advisors are not team members but need to be intimately familiar with UrbanPlan and the financial model. Advisers play a critical role in helping participants stay on track until the time for presentations to the council.
- Serve as a School Champion or on local UrbanPlan Committee to support the advancement of the program
ULI National will offer a volunteer training March 24th and 25th, 12:30PM-4:30PM each day. click here to register.